Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Let's Go to the Beach, Beach...

For those of you who get the reference to my post's name, I salute you and yes, I totally did just name it that!

Anyways, on Sunday Pere Ajax was a visiting priest at this small parish on the hills north of Les Cayes. Scratch, the mountains north of Les Cayes. The trip only last about 50 minutes but it seemed to take forever. Roads here are rocky, literally. And to get up the mountains it takes all one's got. Spectacular views but gosh was it bumpy. The service was in form an Episcopal service, but it was also much more. Songs. They love to sing and after the final blessing, three different groups, a girl's choir, a boy's choir, and the main choir all sang their own songs in Kreyol (All of the songs used in the liturgy were French). 

After the service and some lunch, Pere Ajax, took Robert (another American from Memphis and recent grad from Suwanee who arrived Saturday) and I to the beach for some much needed downtime. I know I haven't started my actual work (besides some light work on Friday), but the total onslaught of smells, sights, and sounds was overwhelming. If you can believe it was my first time in the ocean. I didn't care for the salt. I dove right in, came up, and that's all I could taste. But it was relaxing.

Mission St. Augustin in Maniche, Haiti

Plage de Port-Salut

A boat!




School starts next week on Monday, so no Labor Day for me! Not that I need it. I'm finally getting settled and accept the fact that I won't be home this weekend or next month, much to the chagrin of some. But the school year is going to fly by, as it always does. Even if the pace of things is slower here, life still beats on. And I'm just going to ride with the currents.

A pi ta!
(See you later!)

2 comments:

  1. clink, clink, have a Bud Light! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Team Haiti! :) I'm a YASCer from last year, still in Brazil -- Ashley Bingaman is a dear friend of mine, and I got to hang out with her in May at a conference in Colombia -- wish I could have the chance to meet with all y'all this time around, but I'm glad you'll have so many YASCers in Haiti -- enjoy, and I look forward to following your adventures!

    ReplyDelete