Saturday, April 6, 2013

Earlier this week, but past my first post, I got much more information from the Mission Personnel Office (MPO) on what I'll be doing in Haiti. I knew I would be teaching English at the Bishop Tharp Institute, but that's easier said than done. I found out also I will help the Institute in translation projects. Finally my major, French Language & Literature, coming to good use! It also said I will be helping the diocese in the effectiveness of the Millennium Development Goals. The Model United Nations alumnus in me went nuts! The MDGs are 8 goals set out by the U.N. to achieve around the world by 2015.

They are:
  1. Eradicating extreme poverty and hunger,
  2. Achieving universal primary education,
  3. Promoting gender equality and empowering women,
  4. Reducing child mortality rates,
  5. Improving maternal health,
  6. Combating HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other diseases,
  7. Ensuring environmental sustainability, and
  8. Developing a global partnership for development.
WOW! I will be helping a world-wide effort to achieve these goals, but especially realizing them in Haiti. Not just teaching English, but something else that impacts everyone and not just my future students. Of course 2015 is right around the corner, and many of these goals are far from being achieved. I hope that's why they called it, the "Millennium" Goals and not the "15-year Goals". Overcoming some of these problems can take a lifetime.

Fellow servant of Christ,
Zach

No comments:

Post a Comment